A thick client is a type of software that has a more powerful and complex architecture compared to a thin client, which is a lightweight software application that relies on a remote server to perform most of its functions. Thick clients are typically installed locally on a computer and have the capability to perform a wide range of tasks without the need for a constant connection to a server.
There are many different approaches to thick client penetration testing, and the specific methods used will depend on the specific goals and objectives of the test. In the case of thick client applications, the focus of the test may be on the client-side software itself, as well as any servers or other resources that it interacts with.
Burp Suite & Echo Mirage are thick client penetration testing tools, both applications help create and modify HTTP traffic in real time. It can be used to intercept and modify HTTP traffic between a thick client application and a web server.
Here is a general outline of the process for using Echo Mirage in thick client penetration testing:
- Configure Echo Mirage to capture HTTP traffic. To do this, go to the “Settings” tab in Echo Mirage and enter the IP address and port number of your local machine in the “Listen for connections on” field.
- Configure the thick client application to use Echo Mirage as its proxy. To do this, you will need to set the proxy settings in the thick client application to the IP address and port number of Echo Mirage.
- Start the thick client application and perform the actions that you want to capture.
- In Echo Mirage, the intercepted traffic will appear in the “Traffic” tab. You can view and modify the traffic as needed.
- To test the thick client application for vulnerabilities, you can use Echo Mirage to modify the HTTP traffic and observe the effects on the application. For example, you can try injecting malicious payloads into the traffic to see if the application is vulnerable to injection attacks.
- To save the captured traffic, go to the “File” menu in Echo Mirage and click the “Save” button. Select the items that you want to save and click “Save selected.”
Note: It is important to obtain permission before testing the security of any application
Capture traffic using Burp Suite & Echo Mirage
You can also use Burp suite & echo mirage together to complete your thick client penetration testing. To capture traffic using Burp Suite & Echo Mirage, you need to follow these steps:
- Start Burp Suite and configure it to capture HTTP traffic. To do this, go to the “Proxy” tab and click the “Intercept” button to enable intercepting of HTTP traffic.
- Start Echo Mirage and configure it to use Burp Suite as its proxy. To do this, go to the “Settings” tab in Echo Mirage and enter the IP address and port number of the Burp Suite proxy in the “HTTP proxy” field.
- Navigate to the target site in your web browser and perform the actions that you want to capture.
- In Burp Suite, the intercepted traffic will appear in the “Intercept” tab. You can view and modify the traffic as needed.
- To save the captured traffic, go to the “Target” tab in Burp Suite and click the “Save items” button. Select the items that you want to save and click “Save selected.”
If you have any questions or need assistance with thick client penetration testing, please reach out to us. Our team of security experts is here to help you ensure the security of your thick client applications. Contact ASPIA, We look forward to discussing your needs and how we can help you secure your thick client applications.